Monday, January 4, 2010

First Workout of 2010

Well, before I get into how much I loved my workout you have to understand one thing about me. My friends don't only think I'm crazy because I love running so much...they think I'm crazy because no matter how cold it is I won't run in pants. I will run in running tights...rarely. I prefer the shorts, soccer socks, Under Armour, gloves and ear band style. I do have a cut off temperature though...wind chills in the single digits. I like to feel my cheeks when I get home, and I'm a big fan of my lungs. So, sadly, I was banished to the gym today.

Being banished to the gym was excellent though. I love working out when there are tons of people at the gym, and since New Years just passed EVERYONE was at the gym today. My competitive genes got fired up, I ran into people from high school, and had a great sweat. Since I was a rower in college I tend to erg (rowing machine) a lot because I know how huge of a workout it is. I did a mini pyramid workout to get my legs and lungs worked out. The pyramid was 1 min on-one min off; two min on-two min off; three min on-three min off; four min on-four min off; and back down again. I will be feeling that work out until Friday I'm pretty sure. I triiiied to run on the treadmill, but I'm so scared of falling off I run into the stupid bar. I'll give it another try or two before I cut it out of my life completely. Hopefully the temperature comes back up so I can just run outside.

For anyone who doesn't normally run or is training for a race, cross training is very important. I use erging/rowing, biking and yoga as my cross training exercises. Swimming is very beneficial as well, so I'm going to blend it into my routine this year. Cross training helps prevent injury and workout out other muscles that running doesn't. Another bonus is that it breaks up the monotony of doing the same thing everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment