Monday, January 18, 2010

Long Runs and Chocolate Milk

Sunday was my first long run of 2010...and my first run over three miles since I left Arizona in June. I raved about it all day at work Saturday, so mentally I was totally ready. Was I physically ready? What do you think?

I'm here to tell you....I was! I set my clock for an hour and off I went. And by off I mean running on my sweet treadmill friend. I didn't want to push my little lungs too hard in the cold just yet. I was watching some extreme skiing where guys get dropped out of helicopters and then somehow made it down the most ridiculous peaks in the world; (pfft) and my friends think I'm crazy for training for a marathon! Anyway, I set my pace at a 10:56/mile just as a base because I had no clue how ready I was for a run this long. After 20 minutes my breathing was still steady and relaxed and my legs were feeling great, so I kept going at my pace. After 35 minutes I started bumping up my rate step-by-step every five minutes to push myself. 40 minutes down...45....50....55...the last 5 minutes! My body felt so much better than I had expected! A little tightness kicked in after 45 minutes, but nothing I couldn't push through. My lungs on the other hand were pissed. I was breathing deep and slow, but it felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. That's what happens with little lungs and a little bit of congestion. I finished out the run, walked my two minute cool down and then checked the milage. I knocked out six miles! I impressed myself for than I can even explain! I did a little bit of stretching before I got home. Don't worry, once I got home I devoted a solid 30 minutes for stretching out my legs while I enjoyed my chocolate milk!

Chocolate milk!!! I know, it may sound weird, but that's what my rowing coach recommended my senior year. If you've never rowed before I'll be the one to tell you that it makes every single part of your body hurt. Fingers, toes, back, legs and anything else you can think of...ouch. We were instructed to drink a minimum of 100oz of water a day, but who doesn't know how important staying hydrated is? Once our winter training, erg season, kicked off we not only hated practice but our bodies hated us. That's when we got the secret. Chocolate milk and yogurt within 30-minutes of a hard workout. I know, call me crazy, but it works. Something about the sugars and proteins help your muscles start to heal so they don't feel so bad later, and the chocolate makes you feel better right away. It's amazing how great it works. I drink chocolate milk after most of my runs these days. Combined with all of the stretching I'm rarely sore. My big test will be after I do sprints Thursday morning...I'll let you know Friday if chocolate milk and stretching help prevent soreness!

Today was a rehydrated and stretch out day. My back sure did need it. I don't know what I did, but I had to bust out the Extra Strength Rapid Release Tylonol this morning because my lower back hurt so bad standing was a challenge. Hopefully after yoga and biking tomorrow morning my back will love me again. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Great article! I too love Chocolate Milk after a run. Hmmmmm delishhh

    ReplyDelete