Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sugar? Who needs sugar?!

Okay, I owe you a few days worth of updates. Sorry!!! My sister's spontaneous visit threw me off.

Okay, my killer work out on Wednesday was "Glycogen Depletion."

Here's a brief note on where the workout came from. After Christmas Break my freshman year Anne Feight, our novice rowing coach, told us to get ready for glycogen depletion. We had NO clue what that meant. We got to practice and divided into "runners" and "not runners." The running group started with running three and a half miles through Oakwood and the rowers started rowing an unknown distance to us runners. We came back to to erg room tired from killing the hills only to hear "drink water and get on an erg, set it for 10,000 meters." Trust me, after that work out you will have zero energy left, and barely anything left in your body. So, why put my body through something like that again?! I want to get healthy again. After doing a workout like that I stop craving sodas and Reeses Cups (my true weakness).

I didn't kill myself quite to that extent. I ran three and a half miles and erged 4,000 meters (I had to protect my hip flexors). I did the erging first, and barely had the energy to walk up the stairs to the treadmill. However, after about four minutes of running I was at peace. I ran hard and loved every second. Don't get my wrong...it wasn't easy, and I almost fell down the stairs when I was done. I love the feeling on complete exhaustion. I have never appreciated stretching and relaxing more! I stretched for 20 minutes, and then sat in the hot tub for 15 minutes and did more stretching. When I got home I had a chocolate milk and a yogurt to help kick off the recovery.

<>

Today I hopped on the bike for a light workout. I did a seven minute warm up, stretched then did a 25 minute cardio workout. I didn't want to work my legs too hard because tomorrow is a "long run" day. I will be hitting the roads/treadmill, weather depending, for an and hour and 20 minutes tomorrow. I'm stoked! My iPod is charged up, and I've got cloths ready for either situation.

How's your training going?

No comments:

Post a Comment