Monday, January 25, 2010

I Really Love Long Runs

Okay, between my job searching, working a crappy job and training I'm not updating as often as I originally planned. Sorry! I promise not to let it go over a week though!

So, BIG NEWS! I've registered for my marathon!!! I will be running the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati, on May 2. I'm PUMPED! I've got a lot of friends in Ohio and it's close to home, so I'm excited to have a support group cheering me on. My best friend will be making her way out from DC to celebrate her birthday and my first marathon. She rocks!

Training is going pretty well. I'm still doing more cross training than most training schedules recommend. I biked 15 miles last Tuesday, and felt fantastic. My leg muscles have been impressing me since they seem to never get sore (knock on wood). I erged 7k+ Friday, and that was a big lung test. Since you work you're whole body, chest muscles included, it's a great challenge as an asthmatic. The endurance of rocking out a 7k is great for your arms, shoulders, back and legs. There was a tad of soreness after that workout because I didn't stretch very well. Saturday I did a little bit of lifting to help beef up my arms. I need strong arms to help me get through the 26.2 mile adventure I have ahead of me.

Sunday Run Day! Sunday was the 80 minute run. I was a little put off by it Saturday since the forecast was telling me there would be tons of rain and wind. Pfft. See if I ever listen to the weather guys again. It was almost 50, sort of windy on the open roads, and I got sprinkled on for maybe 6 minutes of the run. It was FANTASTIC! I knocked out 7.5 miles in 72.5 minutes, and jogged out the last 8 minutes as a cool down. I was so impressed with my killer run and reaching my house 8 minutes earlier than expected that I was okay using those minutes as a cool down. My right ankle, aka the healthy one, started getting angry 25 minutes in. That was a bummer...but I was running in an older neighborhood with concrete streets. Once I got back on to asphalt my ankle was much less angry with me. My lungs held up great on the first outside run of the year. The only thing that really hurt was my IT bands in the last five minutes. They were SO tight. My 20 minutes of stretching helped with that, thank goodness!

After the awesome run yesterday I'm really looking forward to the 100 minute run next weekend! After next weekend It'll be time to rock the two hour runs. WOOT! I'm excited!

Well, I'm off to rest up for yoga! Good night running people!

4 comments:

  1. Do you have any good stretch recommendations? I'm always horrible at stretching.

    And congrats on the great run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats love! hopefully i'll see you at the Pig!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brie, I do yoga which helps a lot. But as far as general stretching I bend over and touch my toes a lot because my hamstrings are always tight. When you stretch out your hamstrings it helps your lower back too. =) Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete