Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Snag in the Plan

Well, this last week hasn't been everything I thought it would be.

Sunday I rocked out on the erg. I hadn't done any serious rowing in a while, so I thought it was time. I rowed a 5k, and threw in power 10s and power 5s to spice things up and revitalize the stroke. It felt really good. I was a little congested, but my legs/back/arms/shoulders handled the workout beautifully.

Then there was Monday. Long run Monday...I had my head in the game and was ready for my two hour run. The roads were still kind of snowy and I'm not a fan of pushing my ankle, soooooo I set up the treadmill for 90 minutes (99 is the max and that's just weird). I started working out the kinks and soreness from the Sunday workout, but after two miles my right IT band was already starting to twinge. It's been taking 6+ miles to get there lately, so I wasn't happy when that happened. I pushed the pace back a little bit, lengthened my stride and picked up my feet more. Did it help? Not really...the minutes ticked my so slowly. I picked up the pace again just hoping it would work itself out. Nope, didn't happen. I didn't want to push myself, so I made myself stop after an hour. I got in 6 miles, and wasn't completely happy about it. Stretching and hydrating just weren't as satisfying since I didn't reach my goal.

Tuesday was yoga with Ashley! I always love yoga class on Tuesdays. There was an anonymous request for an ab workout, and I wasn't complaining. We did some amazing Sun Salutes to get warmed up, and then some twists that my back loved. The abs were definitely different. We did variations I'd never done before and two of them I will be using in the future for sure! After our ab workout we did more twists for our backs, and then an amazing 10 minute relaxation. I felt like a new woman after that class.

My Wednesday workout was shoveling the driveway. My best friend, Caryn, told me that shoveling for 20 minutes is the equivalent of running a mile on the treadmill. So, I guess I did 2 miles! Woot! My ankle has been very angry since Tuesday. The tendon on the inside of my right ankle twinges and bothers me too much. I've been icing, but that hasn't helped much. I rocked the IcyHot and then a heating pad just to spice things up.

Today after an extra "awesome" shift at work my ankle really hated me. I wasn't going to pass up a free afternoon, so I headed to the gym anyway. I did a core workout then hopped into the pool. I grabbed a noodle and did a few laps of kicking just to get used to being in the water again and for my legs to loosen up. My lane buddy and I were both slowish swimmers, so that worked out well. After 800m or swimming I called it a day. I walked a lap to see if my ankle hurt in water, and it didn't! =)
Side Note: my lane buddy is running the Flying Pig Half, so it was fun talking about training with someone that will be running the same race (sort of) as me.

Well, it's time to get some rest before another long day of work tomorrow! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment