Wednesday, February 3, 2010

5K "test"?

Well, after a long day at work I knew it was time for a good run. It's time to start working on speed now that I know I can put the time/miles in. The treadmills at LA Fitness have a 5k "loop," so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I was good and stretched out my legs (still sore from Monday's long run), and did a warm up. I am really bad about doing warm ups, so I think I should get bonus points for that. I took my last gulp of water and had my iPod set to a good song to set the pace. I pushed the "5k Loop" button, entered my weight and set it to start at 6.0. Excellent. After 30 seconds of getting used to the beast I pushed up to 6.3 just to get a stride down and felt great. After a half mile...my shoe was untied. How my double knot came undone, I have no idea. So, I pressed the "pause" button...which ends up being a prolonged stop button because there is no way to get started again. So, I had to start again after retying my shoe and checking the other. *sighs* I was less excited and pumped up this time. But I started it over, this time at 6.3. I was up to 6.5 by 2 minutes in. I felt really good running. Still a little tight from Monday, but that was expected. I did find out that time passes slower on a treadmill than on the roads...By the end of the 5k I was rocking an 8.0 (for the last .2 miles). I felt awesome. My breathing was still fairly relaxed, my heart wasn't exploding out of my chest and my legs didn't totally hate me.

Overall I wish my split had been faster, but I'll get it down for next time for sure! I've iced my feet/ankles and now I'm onto the mission of hydrating. Good night!

PS- Thank you for all the support of my friends reading this blog and commenting on my Daily Mile workouts. I really appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment